Wofford College opened in 1854 in Spartanburg, SC. Founded by the will of the Rev. Benjamin Wofford, a Methodist minister in the South Carolina Annual Conference, the college operates on its original campus. Five original buildings, all of which benefited from enslaved labor in their construction, are in daily use. All of the college's original faculty as well as its first three presidents owned enslaved persons. In the years after the Civil War, student and faculty attitudes reflected the prevailing culture of South Carolina and southern Methodism.