DuPre Administration Building; a building named for members of the DuPre Family

Item

Legacies Classification
Memorial Structure
Memorial Type
Named Building
Memorial Context
Memorialized Subject
Title
DuPre Administration Building; a building named for members of the DuPre Family
Background and Context
DuPre Administration Building was rededicated in memory of Warren DuPre, Daniel A. DuPre, Mary Sydnor DuPre, and A. Mason DuPre, all members of the DuPre family who at various times lived in the house. It is an original campus building, completed in 1854 and built using the labor of enslaved persons to serve as a faculty residence. It was, for nearly 100 years, the residence of Professor Warren DuPre, his son, Professor Daniel A. DuPre, and Daniel DuPre’s daughter, college librarian Mary Sydnor DuPre. Later, a distant relative, Dean A. Mason DuPre lived there. Following a renovation in May 1955, it became the DuPre Administration. A subsequent renovation in 1963 added the current board room and restrooms to the rear of the building. It houses the offices of the president, provost, and registrar.
Physical Description
A two-story brick building, originally a four over four house, with a front porch and wide central hallway. An addition on the rear provides additional office space.
Creator/Participating Person(s)
Date created, installed or dedicated
1 August 1854
Date Modified
24 May 1955
14 October 1963
Location: Institution, City, State

Position: 95 (9 views)