Furman Hall; academic building dedicated to James C. Furman

Item

Legacies Classification
Memorial Structure
Memorial Type
Named Building
Academic Facility
Memorial Context
Memorialized Subject
Title
Furman Hall; academic building dedicated to James C. Furman
Background and Context
James C. Furman Classroom Building was built in 1956 and named in 1958 at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina. This academic building was named after James C. Furman, the first President of Furman University in 1859. In 2017, Furman University created the Task Force on Slavery and Justice, and found that James was an avid secessionist and a slave owner during his time as Furman President. Based on a recommendation from the "Seeking Abraham" report, the Furman Board of Trustees approved the removal of "James C." from the building, and to rename it to Furman Hall in February, 2020.
Memorial Inscription
Constructed in 1955, this building was named for James C. Furman until 2020. James C. Furman, son of the university's namesake and the first president of the university, passionately worked to save the institution in the decades after the Civil War. He was also a vocal proponent of slavery and a signer of the state's Ordinance of Secession in 1860. In 2020, the university removed "James C." and renamed the building to more accurately reflect institutional values.

"Furman Hall" now celebrates the diverse community of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends who
study, work, and gather here.
Date created, installed or dedicated
1958
Date Modified
February 2020
Campus Location
Furman Hall; Furman University
Location: Institution, City, State

Position: 95 (9 views)