Carlisle-Wallace House; a house named in honor of James H. Carlisle and David Duncan Wallace

Item

Legacies Classification
Memorial Structure
Memorial Type
Named Building
Memorial Context
Title
Carlisle-Wallace House; a house named in honor of James H. Carlisle and David Duncan Wallace
Background and Context
Built in 1854 as a home for a member of the faculty, it was one of the six original structures on campus. Enslaved workers contributed to its construction. Its first resident, Professor James H. Carlisle, lived there as a faculty member and as president. After his retirement, noted South Carolina historian David Duncan Wallace lived there until the late 1940s. In modern times, administrators such as the dean of the college or dean of students have lived in the house.
Physical Description
A 2-story brick house built in the four-over-four style, with a one-story front porch. A later kitchen is in the rear. Though modernized, the house is the only original one that has been a residence for the college's 170 year history.
Date created, installed or dedicated
1 August 1854
Funded by
Original structure funded by the Benjamin Wofford bequest.
Wofford, Benjamin
Location: Institution, City, State

Position: 789 (7 views)