Whitefoord Smith Library; a library named for Whitefoord Smith

Item

Legacies Classification
Memorial Structure
Memorial Type
Academic Facility
Memorial Context
Memorialized Subject
Title
Whitefoord Smith Library; a library named for Whitefoord Smith
Background and Context
Wofford's first freestanding library opened in 1910 and was dedicated in memory of Rev. Whitefoord Smith, who was the college's first professor of English. The lead gift came from Rev. Smith's daughter, Miss Julia Smith. In 1947, as part of a fund-raising campaign, the library was expanded by adding wings on each side. In 1969, the college constructed a new library and renovated the structure into a classroom and office building. With that renovation, the college discontinued the use of the name Whitefoord Smith.
Physical Description
This 2-story brick structure is currently used for faculty offices and classrooms.
Creator/Participating Person(s)
Wofford College
Date created, installed or dedicated
1910
Date Modified
1948
1972
Location: Institution, City, State
Learn More About this Subject

Position: 184 (8 views)