Faircloth Residence Hall; Dormitory named in honor of William Turner Faircloth

Item

">
Legacies Classification
Memorial Structure
Memorial Type
Named Building
Memorial Context
Memorialized Subject
Faircloth, William Turner
Title
Faircloth Residence Hall; Dormitory named in honor of William Turner Faircloth
Background and Context
The Faircloth Residence Hall that stands on Meredith College’s campus today is the second building named after William Turner Faircloth associated with the institution. The original Faircloth dormitory was built on Meredith's ‘old campus’ in 1904 before being sold to the Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA). When Meredith built their new campus, the current Faircloth dormitory was one of the six permanent buildings constructed on the new site. The building opened January 1926 but was not dedicated until 1927. The dormitories were originally labeled A, B, C, and D. Dormitory B was dedicated to W. T. Faircloth because he generously funded Meredith, specifically the construction of the old Faircloth building. W. T. Faircloth served on the Meredith College Board of Trustees and had an extensive political career. During the Civil War, Faircloth was a substantial slaveowner and served as an officer in the Confederate army. Postbellum, Faircloth was a delegate to the North Carolina Constitutional Conventions in both 1866 and 1875. After the Civil War Faircloth reentered politics as a prominent member of the Republican Party. He served as the Chief Justice for the North Carolina Supreme Court from 1895 until his death in 1900. He was also one of the wealthiest people in the town of Goldsboro at the time of his death.
Faircloth, William Turner
Physical Description
The building is brick with four floors. Two bridges connect Faircloth the neighboring Brewer residence hall. Faircloth has suite-style dormitories, a common room on each floor, a laundry room on the first and fourth floors, and a kitchen on the first floor. It is built in the Georgian style.
Creator/Participating Person(s)
Charles C. Wilson, Kennedy, and George Berryman were architects. John E. Beaman was a contractor.
Date created, installed or dedicated
1927
January 1926
1904
Date Modified
January 1926
Funded by
Faircloth, William Turner
Baptist State Convention of North Carolina
Location: Institution, City, State

Position: 452 (5 views)