Robb Hall at Rhodes College

Item

Legacies Classification
Memorial Structure
Memorial Type
Named Building
Memorial Context
Memorialized Subject
Confederate Lieutenant Colonel Alfred Robb
Title
Robb Hall at Rhodes College
Background and Context
Rhodes College’s Robb Hall is a dormitory named for Confederate Lieutenant Colonel Alfred Robb that is currently home to 36 male students. Robb Hall and the adjoining White Hall were the first dormitories built on the Memphis campus after the college relocated from Clarksville, Tennessee in 1925.

In the Late 1850s, Robb was the youngest member of the Board of Trustees of Stewart College (later Southwestern Presbyterian University, later Southwestern at Memphis, later Rhodes College). . Interested in attracting students from outside Clarksville, in 1859 Robb donated land next to the college as the site for its first dormitory. Robb Hall opened in the 1859-1860 school year.

Robb was a delegate to the Democratic National Conventions of 1860 at Charleston and Baltimore. He enlisted in the Confederate Army at Clarksville 29 November 1861, serving in Company A of the 49th Tennessee Infantry. After being elected Lieutenant Colonel of his regiment, he was mortally wounded at the battle of Fort Donelson and died on February 17th 1862.

When the college moved from Clarksville, Tennessee to Memphis in 1925, one of the first dormitory buildings was named Robb Hall in his honor.
Date created, installed or dedicated
1925
Campus Location
Rhodes College; Memphis, Tennessee
Location: Institution, City, State

Position: 0 (0 views)